Monday, March 26, 2007

You Against Me and Everyone We Know

The arena of punk music is unfamiliar territory for myself. I feel there are too many critics out there that will argue with you about what true punk music really is. No matter who it is, they all think they’re hardcore about their punk appreciation, whether it is the Hot Topic manufactured Good Charlotte listener, or the faithful Alkaline Trio fan who will listen to them even if they “sold out,” or the rabid Sex Pistols only kind of person.

There seem to be many types, however, I’m naïve to it all, and therefore take a neutral stance in the punk scene. If I like it then I’ll become a fan but I won’t identify with any kind of label, it being a “pop punk” fan or “true hardcore fan” or whatever.

My housemate Eric follows the punk scene in different outlets; he owns Alkaline Trio, Rise Against, the Sex Pistols, Thrice, Tsunami Bomb, Flogging Molly, Social Distortion, and many others. One band in particular is Against Me! Yes, with the exclamation mark. The band has been around since the early 2000s and apparently the band is one of the few modern punk bands that have not gone “radio friendly.” They’re still rough. Their music is derived out of current politics, with such songs as “Condoleezza.”

Against Me! was making the rounds on their current tour and Santa Cruz was on their map for specified destinations. The Catalyst was the target, which is a very popular venue for shows in this town. I have had my share with this place by seeing such bands as the Breeders, They Might Be Giants, the Velvet Teen, Death Cab for Cutie, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and some others that I’m sure I’m missing.

When tickets went on sale, Eric wasn’t able to make contact with his punk oriented friends and therefore bought me a ticket. Knowing that I am not a connoisseur on the punk genre, he said that he’d just get me liquored up so I can appreciate it, and I said deal!

The show was Friday night and we took our time going to the show. We weren’t familiar with the opening band so the idea was to get there shortly before Against Me! started and get some beer. While getting ready, I realized that I lack the qualifications to be at a punk show. I’ve seen punk fans. I lacked the piercings, studs, dyed hair, Mohawks, tight jeans, patches, whatever. I’m pretty much a square in the punk territory. However, I didn’t care.

The arrival took place and we went upstairs to where the main Catalyst bar was. Once beer was bought, we stood around and judged our surroundings. The Catalyst is an interesting bar in the sense that it’s definitely a local bar and the college students or “slugs” are not welcomed. Eric and I managed to slip through the cracks because we look mature. The scene is full of men who can literally beat the crap out of me with three of their knuckles, and many women who fall for that kind of thing.

After much staring and silent laughter, we migrated to the venue area and noticed the stage was empty. We stood near the back of the main crowd on the floor; within the next three minutes, the lights dimmed and out came Against Me! Such timing.

The band poured right into their music without much talking in between songs. A lot of energy was coming from the stage and a lot was coming from the crowd as well. The whole concept of the mosh pit still boggles me. I just don’t know why you would want to jump around, push and be pushed, and be acceptable to wounds. At one point in the show, a short girl came walking out of the crowd with a massive amount of blood gushing out of her nose and lip. Eric whispers, “Oh, it can’t be a true punk show unless somebody bleeds.”

As the show continued, I had this woman next to me keep commenting about the performance. “Isn’t this awesome?!” she would rhetorically ask in pure excitement. Uh…yes, yes it does, I mentally responded back. She looked like Rachel Leigh Cook, but don’t worry, this isn’t my “obsession over some celebrity that I can never have” moment. Wait for the Natalie Portman post. The woman just happened to look like her, and besides, I knew Rachel Leigh Cook’s brother when I was in college, and he looks like her, so all beauty faded from there.

The stage time was only about fifty minutes long. I guess that’s the catch with a punk show that there is only so much fuel the band can live off of. Then again, there is only so much fuel the crowd can live off of too; the people in the mosh pit tended to rotate in and out. Overall, I was pleased that I went. Punk music is definitely a genre I don’t focus on too much, but the performance I appreciated. Something about the energy that the band delivered made it fun. I didn’t really understand much of what was been said by the singer but what was being done I could take in.

Our walk home was a bit of a conflict. It was cold out but I was still warm and sweaty from the show. I was enjoying the conversation with Eric but my hearing was shot so I couldn’t hear what he was saying (so how was I enjoying the conversation, one may ask, if I couldn’t hear him… I read lips, one of the many hidden talents I have). We came home, consumed some more beer, talked about politics and girls, and then went to bed on a happy note.

No comments: