Sunday, March 11, 2007

Where do those doors lead?

Saturday was a good day. I had nothing really planned. When the weekend was approaching, I felt like I was going to be really busy. A couple of weeks earlier, I had received a message from my old friend/housemate Christy (who currently resides in Montana) that she was going to be in this region the weekend of the 9-11, and then last week my old friend Victor (who resides in Virginia) calls me up and says he plans on being in Santa Cruz this weekend as well. On top of all that, my friend Amy was turning 25 on Saturday and was having a barbeque at her place in the east bay area.

Christy wasn't going to be in Santa Cruz until Sunday (I will be seeing her later tonight), and Victor could only do a Friday night visit. So, that left Saturday open for Peter time, and with that time, I decided to drive up to Rodeo, where Amy resides and make a surprise cameo at her birthday get-together. It was fun, I finally met some of her friends that she keeps bragging about so it was good to put faces to the names.

I left last night so I could be back in Santa Cruz (basically so I could sleep in my own bed); this morning I was getting my day going and looked out the window that is in our living room, which is upstairs. The window looks out to the house behind us, and since we don't have curtains (I know, it's lame), we can see into every window of that house (including the living room, kitchen, and random upstair rooms). The sighting that makes us even look out into this house is the various doors that are lined up against the windows and the various walls. These are doors, not actually entries into other rooms, but the wooden sheets that fill up a doorway. They are everywhere, even in the upstair bedrooms there are various doors. I feel that there are more doors than there are doorways.

These neighbors just moved in within the last month. The people before them were college students. Since back then we did not have curtains, we could look into their setup as well. In their living room, they had a giant gnome on their wall. It was ginormous! It was a bit disturbing, especially when you're walking by the window and you glance out and there is this giant mythological being gazing at you. Mystical voyeurism I would call it.



I let my imagination run wild with this one; the house that is behind ours is a gateway to another world. The college students found a doorway that let out a gnome (a big one, some called it papa-smurf). When they moved, they let it free. I heard from other people that the students gave the gnome a choice: that he could go back through that doorway and live in the gnome world or run freely in our world. He chose the ladder; this gnome is pursuing his bachelors like he always wanted.

As for the current situation, the new neighbors have come across many of these doorways and have unhinged all the doors. Who knows what worlds they have discovered. To be honest, I don't actually ever see the new neighbors, I think they have left this world and are wandering aimlessly in these new realms, uncovering many secrets that humanity forgot about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

IT WAS SO GREAT TO SEE YOU AND CELEBRATE MY 25TH. THANKS FOR COMING OUT DURING YOUR PETER TIME.

Peter_S said...

Anytime, Amy.