Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Days of DC - Part 5: Climate Control and Meaningless Rings

From my last visit to the DC/Virginia area, I remember it being incredibly hot and incredibly humid. This was something everybody warned me about and I took those warnings and became prepared. Of course, visiting this area a matter of weeks later, I figured this would still be the case. My suitcase is full of t-shirts, collared shirts, a few pants, and a pair of shorts. I brought one long sleeve shirt that is actually pretty thin, so not too warm. The problem I am encountering is that since most of my days are in the hotel (due to the various seminars, receptions, and mingling), I am walking around in a climate controlled environment; it’s sixty degrees where ever you walk. It’s freezing here. And I only have one long sleeve shirt.

Today is the last full day; tomorrow there is a morning session, lunch, and a closing part. Then everybody flies off to their merry homes. Right now I am in my little hour break post-lunch, pre-next-seminar. Yesterday was the first day of the second conference, so now I am alone. My colleague flew back yesterday early afternoon so now I really have to make a point of representing my institution. At the different sessions, I am constantly chiming in, providing insight on what my department does for solicitations and other areas.

The University of Washington, Seattle has taken me under their wing. It’s a fun little bunch. One of their assistant directors, Kim, is usually in the same sessions with me. When she found out that we were on the same floor, this got her really excited. Now, she tends to come by to see if I’m there, and if so, she wants to know what I am up to, or if she can check her email. I decided that she is secretly in love with me. So what if she has one of those little metallic circular items on her ring finger? She keeps talking about some individual named Dave, who, apparently, is her husband. I realized that Dave is just an acronym for “Doesn’t Appear Valid, Eh?” So, I will let her have her fun with me.

Throughout the conference there are various sponsors located outside of the conference rooms. One of them was a mail vendor that one of my superiors mentioned before I left. I went and made a point of talking to the representative. After his description on how great the company is, he then asked about the university I worked for.

“Hey, aren’t you guys the number one party school?” you know, you’re not making a great impression with me right now.

“Well, apparently if you work for Rollingstone and interview one person who smokes a lot of weed and happens to go to school here, then you can make it sound like that that school is a party school,” he laughed at that. Then I went on a giant tirade of the numerous accomplishments that my university has offered; everything from better understandings of the universe, enhancement of the human genome project, disease prevention, internationally known farming programs, and outstanding arts and lecture series. But apparently weed and parties is all people can think about. Too bad Chico State left yesterday.

Anyway, I will continue my adventures here. I am thoroughly amused by the amount of schools from the South that are here. It’s interesting how some schools will focus all their solicitation efforts on football, fraternities, and Jesus. Weird shit.

Tonight, people are planning a twilight tour of DC. I think I’ll try to attend that. I’ll be sure to have my camera handy for that one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude. Uncle Charlie's Summer Camp IS a very special place "in that way," you know it.

Chico State, please.