Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Revival of the Somewhat Unexpected Kind

This weekend brought some bliss towards my end. But I need to backtrack a bit in order to describe my current setting.

June of 2006, a couple of my friends pitched in and bought me an iPod for my birthday. It was a fourth generation 20GB version and it was bought used. Over time, the device started acting up on me; it would sometimes freeze and I would have to let it simply run out of juice and then once the battery was dead, I would recharge it and then it was back in business.

This became a trend for a while and then finally in the winter time (maybe it was fall) the iPod just stopped working. I would turn it on and the Apple icon would show and then it would disappear and then reappear, and that would just function would just keep repeating.

Many eyes were on it; everyone had a different opinion on what was wrong with the device. I gave up on it. During the rest of my time at the house with Eric and Kyle, I basically forgot that I even had an iPod. When I visited my friends Steph and Vic in Virginia (they were the main ones who bought me the iPod), they asked how it was doing and I explained the situation. Vic offered to simply resell it on ebay.

My last Sacramento visit, I briefly explained what went wrong with my musical item and my uncle explained that I needed to buy a whole new battery. I went online and bought an iPod battery and removal kit. When I got back to Santa Cruz, it eventually came in the mail. Of course, I had no idea how to open the iPod with this kit (even though it gave clear instructions, I still couldn’t do it).

This past weekend I made another Sacramento visit and I brought both the iPod and the kit and battery. My uncle used his magic and managed to get the battery in. However, the iPod was still doing the same thing it was doing back in the fall: the Apple icon would appear and then disappear. My uncle then explained that it seemed that the hard drive was disconnected, that you could feel the device trying to make the connection but nothing would go through. Well, it seemed that I was destined to get a new iPod.

I went to the Apple store at the nearby mall and there was a major lack of customer service. There were so many people there. Maybe I could have tried harder getting help, but maybe I was just overwhelmed by the gigantic population rate in this tiny little store that I just had to get the hell out of there. When I got back to my uncle’s place, I figured I would just buy one online.

That evening, though, I was sitting at the computer desk and I just glanced at my old iPod and pressed the little wheel and the screen turned on and there was the main menu, something I hadn’t seen in many moons. It seemed that all my data was lost but I was able to navigate through the iPod like nothing had happened. I then connected it to the battery charger and once that was ready, I hooked it to my laptop and restored all my music to it. It was divine.

When I returned to Santa Cruz, I immediately went for a walk and had all sorts of fun with the playlists I made on there.

Wasn’t this a great story? Aren’t you glad you spent all this time reading about my iPod’s great comeback? Can you believe that I was able to save over $200 by not buying a new one?

Crazy!

No comments: